Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Half full or half empty ?

pes·si·mism –noun
1. the tendency to see, anticipate, or emphasize only bad or undesirable outcomes, results, conditions, problems, etc.

Personally, I always see the glass as a "half glass of water." What does that say about me?

A friend recently categorized me as a pessimist and, frankly, I was shocked. I definitely wouldn't classify myself as generally optimistic, but I also don't consider myself generally pessimistic. More likely I am a realist.

re·al·ist Pronunciation -noun
1. a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.

Just give it to me like it is. Don't sugar coat it, don't coat it in gloom, it is what it is.

So being categorized as pessimistic has sort of got me thinking. What it about my everyday life would have someone see me that way when I don't see myself that way? Am I not self aware? Do they think if you're not optimistic you're pessimistic by default? For me, pessimism has a negative connotation and maybe it shouldn't.

I definitely do not buy into that "secret" philosophy of if you envision it it will happen. I know people with cancer...so if they can truly see themselves without cancer will they become cancer-free? If I envision myself never having another kidney stone will that cure my kidneys? I don't think so. I guess if not buying in makes me a pessimist, that's what I am.

What say you?

5 comments:

Qwendykay said...

I believe in being cautiously optimistic, and believing in oneself. However, you my friend... are a party in a box. The funnest Realist that I know!

I don't think you can will anything just by thinking of it. If that could happen, I'd have married Donald Trump & Pierce Brosnan a LONG time ago.

Qwendykay said...

oh.. and Bono.

Also.. Brad Pitt would be my personal bartender.

Tammy said...

cim...a pessimist...really? who would say such a thing? i have never thought of you as a pessimist. (and i lay claim to knowing you longer than most!) you have had much more than your share of hard times and you have ALWAYS found the humor in every situation. i love that about you!
and wendy...donald trump?!? please say it's for the money and not the hair!!!

Qwendykay said...

Relax.. Tam... it's solely for the $$. I think Mr. Trump would be a little more entertaining to talk to than Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

I just want to roll around in a giant pile of $$.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.